Skip to main content

The Top 5 Reading Myths

I suppose as a book lady, it's pretty easy for me to spout off the importance of reading. But how should you respond when presented with reading myths? I've come up with a list of five common myths I've been told by several people, and I want to reassure everyone there is nothing too big to not make reading a part of your daily life!

MYTH #5
Reading can only be done through books.
Yes, books are AMAZING tools! But you know what else you can read? Anything else with words. Literally. Anything. Else. With. Words. If your child feels a little turned off by the thought of a book for some reason, they don't have to miss out on reading all together. Read the back of cereal boxes together. Or street signs. Or menus. Or birthday cards. Write notes back and forth to each other. Take the pressure off of your child from the necessity to read a book and shift their attention to something else. I promise there is something tangible in their lives they can read, and I promise it won't ruin their lives if that's how they get their reading in for now.


Billy and the Mini Monsters $4.99/each
or $24.99 complete collection
MYTH #4
Reading comic books doesn't count.

Maybe as an adult I'm in a whole different world with a different perspective, but I feel like this one had more stigma around it when I was in school than it does now. I remember teachers telling students to "put those things away" and cartoons portraying "lazy" kids with comics hiding behind the covers of their textbooks. I suppose some people may still hold that stigma, but as I've said before, any book a child is interested in is a good book for them. The excess in pictures doesn't derail a child's ability to read. In fact, those same pictures may very well motivate reluctant readers into reading, and that's just the tip of the iceberg! Those pictures aren't there simply to eat up valuable space that text would be in. In fact, they are a great introduction into art education, allowing readers to slow down and take in spatial awareness, design, and story telling through illustrations. They help readers understand sequencing and making inferences better by visualizing story concepts. No, those pictures aren't a hindrance at all; They aid in building confidence and understanding in the stories children are reading.

MYTH #3
My child needs to like the same kind of books I like.

Okay, so I haven't heard this one in these exact words, but I can tell you I have heard the disappointed tone in parents when their child finds a book that they love "boring." Let me point out the obvious: Your kid is an amazing small person, with real wants and real desires and real preferences. This applies to what's on their dinner plate as much as to what's in their reading corner. And I can promise you, if you give them free range to choose something that THEY are interested in, they will find something! Bring them to the library. Let them explore and try out several different types of books. If they get bored with one, don't force feed it to them as that will only turn them off to reading even more. But I promise, if you allow them to go on a journey to find something strikes their interest with no pressure, there will be something there. Even if it's not your beloved classic tale. Whatever they choose, you might find "boring" yourself, but it will excite them. And an excited reader is ready to broaden their skills so they can make good reading habits for their future.


That's Not My Books: $9.99/each
MYTH #2
My child shouldn't read books that are too "babyish"!

Okay. I understand. You know your child's reading level and you know they are plenty capable, so it's hard to watch them "waste" that by reading something that is much lower than that capability. But, listen, sometimes it's good for your heart to indulge in something that's more fun and less challenging. There are times when I enjoy a good Disney movie instead of an adult drama film, so why should books be any different? There is a selection of books that are sitting on my kids' bookshelves that give me a sense of happy nostalgia, so I know when my five-year-old grabs That's Not My Mermaid and enthusiastically reads it out loud, I know she's probably experiencing those same feelings. How can I encourage her to have enthusiasm for reading if I tell her she shouldn't be bothering with something so "babyish"? Let me repeat myself: Any book that appeals to your child is a good book to be reading. When that reading is something lower than their capabilities, it can build their confidence in reading skills. So the next time your child grabs a "baby" book to read, try sitting down with them and hear their confidence grow and enjoy that nostalgic feeling together.

MYTH #1
My kid is too old to be read out loud to.

I know, I know, your 13 year old probably doesn't want to sit down on your lap and listen to The Very Hungry Caterpillar before their precious naptime. But, reading out loud is beneficial to everyone, no matter their age. Think about it. Would you rather read a transcript of the local news or turn on whatever device you use to watch videos and listen to someone else deliver the details? Sometimes, content delivers better auditorily. There is just something about tone and continence that gives words such flavor in their meaning, and when you are the one delivering those words, your child is developing a bond both with you and the literature you are providing. I've also heard before that comprehension in a person's listening level is usually much higher than in a person's reading level. So it just makes sense that it would be beneficial to hear literature out loud once in a while. As your child grows older, try reading some of the really great classics out loud with them. Let them hear that the really good stuff is just around the corner, so when their reading level does catch up to their listening level, they will have something to look forward to. Or, if your teenager refuses to listen to you read, try an audio book!


Those are my top five myths I've been presented with. But I am sure there are many more! What reading myths have you heard? Which ones do you believe? Which should be debunked?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reading Corners

I'm sure if you've been on Pintrest any time in the past...forever, you've seen beautiful reading corners set up with blankets and pillows, and canopies. Sometimes, there are even tents or special lamps. There's usually a place to store books so that kids can easily grab one and comfortably sit down and read. A quick search and you'll find a million different ways to put together your own special corner for your kids to have a magazine cover reading spot. I look at these and think of how beautiful they are. And then I think about how little my girls would use it for actual reading. I am 1000000% sure they would end up turning it into a castle. Or a cave. Or some fairy land where they have to defeat bad guys to save the world from total devastation. I'm sure these kinds of reading corners work well in some homes. I'm sure they work fabulously in classrooms. I just don't think they're for us. Instead, I want to share with you the top 5 reading &q

How to Have A Good Sick Day

I consider myself pretty stinkin lucky because I have two girls who are extremely close. They are more than sisters, they are best friends. For the most part, when they're together, they play SO well together. Eleanor looks up to her big sister with wide eyes soaking up everything she does and Penelope wraps her arms around her little sister and guides her through learning new things daily. So, when Penelope brought home a virus that kept her home from school for about two weeks, I wasn't really concerned about boredom. And really, that was for 2 reasons. 1) My kiddos get along like crazy (about 90% of the time. There's still room for sibling confrontation because, hey, they're human). and 2) Sticker books. Yup, that's right, sticker books. We have so many sticker books because I stock up on those suckers in bulk! You never know when there might be a birthday party you've forgotten about and need a last minute gift. Or when there's a surprise snow