Skip to main content

How to Have A Good Sick Day

I consider myself pretty stinkin lucky because I have two girls who are extremely close. They are more than sisters, they are best friends. For the most part, when they're together, they play SO well together. Eleanor looks up to her big sister with wide eyes soaking up everything she does and Penelope wraps her arms around her little sister and guides her through learning new things daily.

So, when Penelope brought home a virus that kept her home from school for about two weeks, I wasn't really concerned about boredom. And really, that was for 2 reasons. 1) My kiddos get along like crazy (about 90% of the time. There's still room for sibling confrontation because, hey, they're human). and 2) Sticker books.

Yup, that's right, sticker books.

We have so many sticker books because I stock up on those suckers in bulk! You never know when there might be a birthday party you've forgotten about and need a last minute gift. Or when there's a surprise snow day on the first day of Spring. Or when your kid is sick for 2 weeks with an on/off fever of 102.7 and you'll need to entertain her with something other than My Little Ponies for 14 days straight.

Which brings me to today.

Today, Friday, the last day of the week, I found my girls wrap up in their robes and pull out a sticker book together. They played for a good 2 hours with that sticker book, reading the "stories" on the pages, dressing up the characters in different sticker outfits, reading about new objects they haven't encountered before, asking "Mom, what's this?" holding up tiny sticker medical equipment.

I'm telling you, despite the fact that my kid has been fighting off this virus (and now an ear infection to go along with it!), she was happy as could be sitting with her sister and her sticker book for hours.

Watching them together, this is why I always suggest sticker books for parents looking for something new for their kids to do. Not only are my kids enjoying their time together, but my youngest is working on her fine motor skills, placing the little stickers in the right places. My oldest is working on her reading skills with the phrases on each page. They're both working on developing their imagination and decision making, putting the stickers on logical places in the pages.

So let me ask you: Do you have sticker books for your kids at home? One? Two? A Bundle? Do you have different sticker books in a variety of topics? Or... is there something else all together that is your fall back/go-to on a sick day?

If you need a few sticker books on stand-by, you can find them HERE



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 5 Reading Myths

I suppose as a book lady, it's pretty easy for me to spout off the importance of reading. But how should you respond when presented with reading myths? I've come up with a list of five common myths I've been told by several people, and I want to reassure everyone there is nothing too big to not make reading a part of your daily life! MYTH #5 Reading can only be done through books. Yes, books are AMAZING tools! But you know what else you can read? Anything else with words. Literally. Anything. Else. With. Words. If your child feels a little turned off by the thought of a book for some reason, they don't have to miss out on reading all together. Read the back of cereal boxes together. Or street signs. Or menus. Or birthday cards. Write notes back and forth to each other. Take the pressure off of your child from the necessity to read a book and shift their attention to something else. I promise there is something tangible in their lives they can read,

Reading Corners

I'm sure if you've been on Pintrest any time in the past...forever, you've seen beautiful reading corners set up with blankets and pillows, and canopies. Sometimes, there are even tents or special lamps. There's usually a place to store books so that kids can easily grab one and comfortably sit down and read. A quick search and you'll find a million different ways to put together your own special corner for your kids to have a magazine cover reading spot. I look at these and think of how beautiful they are. And then I think about how little my girls would use it for actual reading. I am 1000000% sure they would end up turning it into a castle. Or a cave. Or some fairy land where they have to defeat bad guys to save the world from total devastation. I'm sure these kinds of reading corners work well in some homes. I'm sure they work fabulously in classrooms. I just don't think they're for us. Instead, I want to share with you the top 5 reading &q