Skip to main content

Reading Corners

I'm sure if you've been on Pintrest any time in the past...forever, you've seen beautiful reading corners set up with blankets and pillows, and canopies. Sometimes, there are even tents or special lamps. There's usually a place to store books so that kids can easily grab one and comfortably sit down and read.

A quick search and you'll find a million different ways to put together your own special corner for your kids to have a magazine cover reading spot.

I look at these and think of how beautiful they are. And then I think about how little my girls would use it for actual reading. I am 1000000% sure they would end up turning it into a castle. Or a cave. Or some fairy land where they have to defeat bad guys to save the world from total devastation. I'm sure these kinds of reading corners work well in some homes. I'm sure they work fabulously in classrooms. I just don't think they're for us.

Instead, I want to share with you the top 5 reading "corners" my girls have.

1) Their Beds
This is probably our most common reading spot. We've always made it a point to read before nap and before bedtime. It's a super easy way to put reading into our routine, and I can tell it's made an impact on them! Not only do they get ready and settled down by reading in bed, but whenever their imagination takes them into a world of taking care of their "babies," they always find a story to read before putting their toys down for a nap!

2) The Kitchen
This is the best place for my oldest, Penelope, to practice her reading. It's especially perfect on the days she brought home a new book from the library she's excited about or a book from her reading group she needs to read for homework. On these days, she grabs one of our dinning table chairs after puts it right in the kitchen. This way, while I'm cooking, she can read to me and I can still be part of it.

3) In a Tent
Do you remember creating a tent using a million blankets and clothespins as a kid? Or was it just me that covered every piece of furniture in the house to make one? Once my girls found out you can make your own little space by draping a blanket here and there, they decided this was a fantastic way to play! Sometimes, they also bring out the little character pop up tents and set them up, too. But it never fails, when a tent is made, it's not complete until there is a book or two in there with them!

4) The Car
Recently, Eleanor (a newly three-year-old) has gotten a kick out of bringing along some kind of stuffed animal in the car while Penelope brings a book. Together, in the back seats, they take turns reading the story to the stuffed animal and get it ready for a car ride nap. It's great because 1) They're reading 2) They are again playing out the routine we have set for them and 3) They are working together to entertain each other in a car ride. Win-win-win!

5) Outside
This is my personal favorite! I remember as a kid climbing on the top of the monkey bars in our back yard or on the top of our shed to feel like I was going somewhere to read privately. I have no idea if my parents really knew how much I was climbing, but I'm pretty sure they knew I was happy and content with a book in my hands. I love watching my girls find safe and "secluded" places outside with their books, too! The other day, Penelope came home from school and popped a seat at the edge of our front yard oak tree and read a three chapter book while waiting for her newly painting nails to dry. She read quietly to herself, enjoying a bit of outdoor "solitude" and when she was done, she was recharged and ready to go!

So I'm sure that having a specified reading corner can be beneficial. It's great to have a place where kids can sit down without other distractions to read comfortably. But you know what the best place for a kid to read is? Anywhere. If your child wants to read in a tent, outside under a tree, or under the kitchen table, it's the perfect reading corner for them! Where have your kids decided a good reading "corner" is?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 5 Reading Myths

I suppose as a book lady, it's pretty easy for me to spout off the importance of reading. But how should you respond when presented with reading myths? I've come up with a list of five common myths I've been told by several people, and I want to reassure everyone there is nothing too big to not make reading a part of your daily life! MYTH #5 Reading can only be done through books. Yes, books are AMAZING tools! But you know what else you can read? Anything else with words. Literally. Anything. Else. With. Words. If your child feels a little turned off by the thought of a book for some reason, they don't have to miss out on reading all together. Read the back of cereal boxes together. Or street signs. Or menus. Or birthday cards. Write notes back and forth to each other. Take the pressure off of your child from the necessity to read a book and shift their attention to something else. I promise there is something tangible in their lives they can read,

How to Have A Good Sick Day

I consider myself pretty stinkin lucky because I have two girls who are extremely close. They are more than sisters, they are best friends. For the most part, when they're together, they play SO well together. Eleanor looks up to her big sister with wide eyes soaking up everything she does and Penelope wraps her arms around her little sister and guides her through learning new things daily. So, when Penelope brought home a virus that kept her home from school for about two weeks, I wasn't really concerned about boredom. And really, that was for 2 reasons. 1) My kiddos get along like crazy (about 90% of the time. There's still room for sibling confrontation because, hey, they're human). and 2) Sticker books. Yup, that's right, sticker books. We have so many sticker books because I stock up on those suckers in bulk! You never know when there might be a birthday party you've forgotten about and need a last minute gift. Or when there's a surprise snow